St. Louis museum

Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum Displays Newest Attraction

The Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum is sprucing up its hangar to accommodate its newest display – an F-4 Phantom II cockpit restored by Joe Steimann.  The aircraft cockpit, originally from a McDonnell Douglas F-4F stricken from the German Air Force after an accident, is now in the colors of the MO ANG 131st TFW formerly based in St. Louis.  Other aircraft on display include a BD-5, 1941 Meyers OTW previously owned by Nikki Caplan, Pietenpole Air Camper as well as several sailplanes and missiles. 

Make it your New Year’s Resolution to visit the museum at historic Curtiss-Wright Hangar 2, St. Louis Downtown Airport in Cahokia, IL.   

Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum Receives Restored F-4 Phantom Cockpit on Loan

The Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum has received a restored F-4 Phantom II cockpit on loan through the spring of 2012.  The owner, Joe Steimann, restored the cockpit and nose section of the aircraft to resemble F-4E s/n. 68-0338 flown by the 131st TFW,  Missouri Air National Guard, formerly based in St. Louis.  The cockpit is actually from a German F-4F that was damaged in an engine fire, and after being used as a trainer was destined to be scrapped.  Steimann purchased the remnants of the cockpit and restored it.  The cockpit can be seen at airshows and corporate events during the airshow season, but you can see it now at the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum located in historic Curtiss-Wright Hangar 2 at St. Louis Downtown Airport.  For more information about the museum, please visit http://airandspacemuseum.org/.

Owner Joe Steimann poses with the F-4 cockpit before restoration

F-4 cockpit arrives at the Museum's Curtiss-Wright Hangar 2

Closer view of the restored F-4 cockpit at the Museum

F-4 cockpit exhibit is now in the Museum's hangar

Please Consider a Year-End Tax-Deductible Donation to Support the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum

It’s that time of year – time to consider year-end tax-deductible donations to trim your taxable income before January rolls around.  Please consider making a generous contribution to the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum and join the ranks of many who believe in the museum’s mission of preserving St. Louis area aerospace artifacts and providing education outreach to the next generation.  Help the museum maintain and improve historic 1929 Curtiss-Wright Hangar 2, refurbish artifacts, acquire display cases, and engage in community activities that prepare today’s youth for aerospace careers.  Please visit http://airandspacemuseum.org/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4 to make a donation or become a member today!

Museum Acquires Tern As Second Sailplane Exhibit

The Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum has acquired a home-built Tern sailplane from the Prairie Aviation Museum in Bloomington, IL for display in historic Curtiss-Wright Hangar 2 at St. Louis Downtown Airport.  The aircraft was built by Steve Steckler of Evansville, Indiana in 1981, and later donated to the Prairie Aviation Museum.  The aircraft will soon take roost beside the other sailplane on display in Hangar 2, a  Standard Austria Sailplane, manufactured in 1963 by Schempp-Hirth.  That sailplane represents one of the earliest extensive uses of fiberglass construction, and was donated to the museum by the family of the late Robert Fenton, the famous St. Louis region sailplane pilot.  More information on the Tern will be provided when the aircraft display is dedicated in the near future.  Here are some photos of the aircraft on its transport trailer in Bloomington: