GREATER ST. LOUIS AIR & SPACE MUSEUM
HIGHLIGHTS—JANUARY 2015—JUNE 2016
MISSION: SERVE the PUBLIC through PRESERVATION and DISPLAY of HISTORIC AIR & SPACE ARTIFACTS and EDUCATION PROGRAMS to FOSTER the SPIRIT of FLIGHT in TODAY’S YOUTH and in FUTURE GENERATIONS.
MAJOR AWARD—Inducted into Illinois Aviation Hall of Fame, Honored with Spirit of Flight Award, May 2016.
RECENT CELEBRATIONS—Supported 50th Anniversary of Gemini Space Flights at Missouri Aviation Historical Society.
COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROGRAMS:
- Co-hosted “Young Eagle” Flights with Gateway Eagles and EAA Chapter 64 on Six Weekends.
- Provided Traveling Exhibits to Gateway to Space Development Conference.
- Displayed Material at Selvidge Middle School in support of STEM Program.
- Hosted Various Visiting Groups Including United Flying Octogenarians, Central Institute for the Deaf, Army/Navy Heritage Foundation, Cahokia Chamber of Commerce, Cahokia Head Start, SAFECON Region VI, Women in Aviation, and Navigators USA.
- Continued with Artifact Loans to Missouri History Museum and St. Louis Science Center.
- Continued Cooperative Activities with The Aero Experience, Missouri Aviation Historical Society, Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum, and Aviation Archives.
- Established an e-Newsletter for Member/Public Distribution.
- Teamed with SLU/Parks to Assist With Scout Merit Badges By Providing Flight Simulators.
- Major Work on Replica 1910 Demoiselle by EAA 64 and Gateway Area Ultralight Assoc.
- Cabin Air Conditioning for the Howard Hughes Lockheed JetStar.
- Continuing work on the Cutaway R3350 Engine.
MAJOR ARTIFACT DONATIONS—APPROXIMATELY 130 DONORS:
- Large Collections of Books, Photos, Slides (more than 6000). Includes Original Material on Construction of Curtiss-Steinberg (St. Louis Downtown) Airport.
- Original Paintings.
- Various Aviation Patches/Stickers/Miscellany.
- Aircraft Equipment.
- Historic/Extinct Aviation Fields of Greater St. Louis.
- Histories of Greater St. Louis Airplane Development.
- Digitizing Photos/Documents for On-line Access.
- Contribute content to history of Lambert-St. Louis International Airport book project.
ARCHIVE CATALOGING—Additional 1600 Items Cataloged Using “Past Perfect” Software Provided With Grant from Ameren Illinois. Total Cataloged Items Now Nearly 3300.
Special thanks to Museum Curator Emeritus Jack Abercrombie for compiling this list of achievements.