Museum Receives Two Historically Significant Sailplanes for Display

The Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum received two historically significant sailplanes for future display in the museum’s hisoric 1929 Curtiss-Wright Hangar 2 at St. Louis Downtown Airport in Cahokia, IL.  Generously donated by Carol Bell, the aircraft have found a home at the museum where they will be displayed and documented as well as restored as necessary.  The aircraft are a 1943 Laister-Kauffman LK-10A and a 1982 Hickman-Bell Briegleb BG-6, which were towed in on their custom trailers today and will be available for viewing in the hangar during the upcoming open house and fly-in June 16.

Visit the Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum on the Lindbergh Flight Anniversary Weekend

May 20-21 will be the 85th anniversary of Charles Lindbergh’s solo transatlantic flight.  Get a head start on commemorating the flight by visiting the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum, home of Lindbergh memorabilia and reproduction Spirit of St. Louis cockpit.  During your visit, you can view a hand-written letter from Lindbergh to Major C. Ray Wassall, an autographed book, sculpture of Charles and Ann Morrow Lindbergh, U.S. tour map and promotional materials and examine the Spirit of St. Louis cockpit.  Here is a preview of what you will experience:

Museum Curator Writes Definitive Article on Historic Kinloch Field

Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum Curator, Jack Abercrombie, has written another blockbuster article on early St. Louis aviation history – this one focusing on historic Kinloch Field formerly located in what is now St. Louis County.  The site remains unmarked, and this article has sparked interest in a remedy for that situation.  The article will soon be published on the museum web site in the Education/Published Articles section.  The abstract below gives a tantalizing peek into the 49-page work:

“Only a year after St. Louis saw its first flying machine, the Aero Club of St. Louis developed one of the finest flying fields in the country. An old horse racetrack and surrounding meadows and farmlands in northwest St. Louis County, Missouri were transformed into a home for three flight training schools, a flight test facility for checking out newly designed and built aircraft, and flight exhibition teams which gave thrilling flight demonstrations to various locations around the country.  Kinloch Flying Field held two large air meets and many smaller gatherings. New aviation records were set, and, for the first time, a former President of the United States flew above cheering crowds.

“For a number of reasons, the aerodrome closed less than two and a half years after an aeroplane first lifted off its grounds. One hundred years ago, 1912, was the last year of operation.  The Kinloch Field within the northwest quadrant of the intersecting Graham and Frost Roads, now within the limits of the City of Berkeley, Missouri, has long been covered over with streets, parking lots, and warehouses—all but forgotten.  This article traces the history of this remarkable airport.”

Museum Featured on New iPhone/iPad App: Aviation Museums U.S.A. & Canada

The Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum is included in the new iPhone/iPad app: Aviation Museums U.S.A. and Canada.  Now for just $.99 you can search North America for aviation museums, and find the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum among its peers.  To purchase this app, please visit http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aviation-museums-u.s.a.-canada/id518586910?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=2.  Here are some screen shots of the app:

 

 

 

Museum Sponsor Robertson Racing Makes History at La Mans 2011

 

 

Robertson Racing, a sponsor of the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum, makes history in La Mans 2011.  Museum member David Robertson, of the historic Robertson Aircraft Company, and his wife Andrea took third place in their class as the first husband and wife team in La Mans history.

See the video at http://enhance.endavomedia.com/link/?locationhash=8331f387b776ebbd1bb10129f5384d20&mediahash=749c2b77270f127ad4c93f0e7a8d2210&sharetype=2

Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum Receives Donation of “Baby Ace”

The Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum has received a Corben Baby Ace home built aircraft that was donated by Carol Bell.  The design of this series of aircraft goes back to the late 1920s, when Orland G. “Ace” Corben produced the first kit-built aircraft, the Baby Ace, and soon after, the two-seat Junior Ace.  The designs appeared in popular scientific journals, and interest in them grew during the 1930s, even during a time of changing certification rules that hampered the home-built aircraft market.  Later, in 1953, the same year that the EAA was formed, Paul Poberezny acquired the assets of the Corben Sport Plane Company and still owns a Junior Ace today.  The aircraft is still produced in kits or completed by Ace Aircraft in northeast Georgia at the Toccoa-Stephens County Airport.  The donated aircraft will soon be reassembled and displayed in the museum’s historic Curtiss-Wright Hangar 2 at St. Louis Downtown Airport.  More information about the Baby Ace and its history can be found at http://www.aceaircraft.com/.

 

EAA 64 and Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum Host Boy Scouts, Give Young Eagle Flights

EAA Chapter 64 and the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum hosted over 120 local area Boy Scouts at St. Louis Downtown Airport on Saturday.  The Scouts received Young Eagle flights from EAA pilots flying five airplanes – a Piper Tripacer, 2 Cessna 172s, a Mooney M22 and a Piper Cherokee – and an R-44 Raven II helicopter from Central Illinois Air.  The day-long event also included a tour of the museum, a presentation on careers in aviation by members of the U.S. Air Force Air Mobility Command, and a tour of Parks College pilot training facility also located on the airport.  EAA 64 and the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum provide flights and educational programs for large and small groups regularly throughout the spring, summer and fall.  For more information, please visit EAA Chapter 64 at http://eaa64.org/index.htm and the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum at http://airandspacemuseum.org/.  Here are some scenes from Saturday’s events:

Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum Library Receives Facelift

The Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum’s library is being renovated by hard-working volunteers, thanks to a generous donation of shelving by Barnes and Noble.  Museum members are installing the newly-acquired shelving units and arranging thousands of volumes of aerospace books and technical materials.  Future plans include the installation of additional shelves in the periodical and multimedia rooms of the library, and the introduction of a digital archive research center within the library suite.  Recent donations of archives from Parks College of St. Louis University, as well as from prominent individuals in the aerospace field, have greatly expanded the printed and digital archive collection soon to be available for education and research purposes.  “The museum is well on its way to becoming a premier archive and research center for St. Louis area aviation history,” said Carmelo Turdo, museum Board Member and 2nd Vice President.  “We will work tirelessly to make the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum a hub of aeronautical knowledge and activity to educate and inspire current and future generations.  St. Louis has a rich aerospace history, and we believe a bright future as well.”

Museum Receives Spirit of St. Louis Cockpit Exhibit

The Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum, located in historic Curtiss-Wright Hangar 2 at St. Louis Downtown Airport,  received a Spirit of St. Louis cockpit exhibit on loan from the Missouri Historical Society this week.  The cockpit was part of the Lindbergh collection at the Missouri History Museum in St. Louis, and the loan will keep it in the public eye while the Missouri Historical Society renovates its Lindbergh exhibit.  It was constructed by Parks College of Engineering and Aviation of St. Louis University, whose fleet of training aircraft is located near the new display site.

Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum Makes Major Improvements to Historic Curtiss-Wright Hangar 2

The Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum has the privilege of residing in historic 1929 Curtiss-Wright Hangar 2 at St. Louis Downtown Airport.  The building needs constant care to remain a viable museum space, and recent improvements are going a long way to make the facility more functional and comfortable for all visitors.  Recent and on-going  projects include arranging exhibits according to progressive historic time periods, renovating the lobby and gift shop, installing new book shelves, ceiling tiles and furniture in the library, and repositioning lighting fixtures in the main-level meeting room.  The influx of many new artifacts has also given new urgency to streamlining the hangar arrangement, with greater use of available space for our visitors.  The museum would like to thank Barnes and Noble for their recent donation of a large amount of bookshelves and furniture, and the members of the museum, EAA 64 and Gateway Area Ultralight Association for their assistance in making these improvements possible.   Please consider making a generous donation to the museum’s building fund by clicking on the Support Us tab.

Bookshelves donated by Barnes and Noble are being installed in the library

The goft shop has received new displays, and will be renovated in the near future

Museum Board Member Mike Burke works on a display kiosk